Sunday, February 5, 2017

Great day sewing for Quilts of Valor

I attended the National Sew-In Day yesterday for Quilts of Valor, a program that makes and donates quilts to veterans. Over 60 folks showed up. Dennis and Doyleen Taylor are the area directors. They did an awesome job of having everything organized and ready down to the last stitch. I was amazed and shocked at how many prizes I won for earning tickets for the tasks I completed. I went to give and came home with a table full of blessings. 
Although this is not the exact quilt we made, I did sew the partial block from the 3rd block on the top row, the pinwheel inside the larger block. It was intense sewing and I was able to complete 16 pieces. Others did the rest and the entire tops began to appear. I brought home a bag of other pieces to sew together for another quilt. Most all quilts are red, white and blue since that is what the veterans want. We were also treated to a ceremony in which 2 veterans were awarded their quilts along with a certificate of appreciation. The Taylors read the certificate to each veteran and then wrapped them in the quilt with a big hug and said we appreciate your service--tear jerker.



No comments: