Thursday, August 5, 2021

Why did i take a break from posting on my blog?

I apologize for seemingly taking a break from posting on my blog. However, there was a glitch or problem in the computer program and my items, especially photos, were not uploading. Thankfully, this has been repaired and I'll get back to my regular schedule. This has been an overly busy time for me. Our long-time dog, 12 year old Achilles, became very sick with tumors about a year ago. We, sadly, watched as he developed more and more. At one point, he got a large, inoperable tumor in his nasal cavaity, and that was the beginning of the end for him. We did everything we could, but the vet said there was no hope. We kept him happy, gave him plenty of cheese, his favorite treat, and hugged and talked to him until the end. He was assisted to go to sleep and went to final rest on July 14. We continue to grieve for him, but are full of happy memories. We gave him a great life; so no regrets. I've continued with my numerous hobbies this summer. Gardening has taken been the main focus as keeping plants alive is important in this heat. I've attended the Plant Swap both in May and August and added numerous, fabulous plants. My iris and lilies were gorgeous this year as were all the other plants I've gotten for free at the East Tennessee Plant Swap. I was able to grow several tomato plants by consistently hauling water to them in a raised bed. I've had one to two cups yield in tomatoes for about a month how. There is nothing better in this world than picking cherry tomatoes on the vine and popping them into your mouth. Such joy when you bite down and get that rush of flavor. Another hobby that keeps me busy is hauling away yard sale leftovers for one of my friends who hosts yard sales to supplement her income. She does really well and gets the merchandise she sells by hauling away estate sales from others. This hobby is fun for my family and friends as we search those boxes and bins containing everything from lamps to toys to clothing to tools and more, more, more. This last time two maple chairs ala 1970s were included in the mix. I sewed a new pillow cover for one and gave it to a man who just moved to an empty apartment and sewed a cover for the other one and kept it. See photo As always when I get a van full of things, I call various friends who come over and search through and keep what they want and can use. I also set aside most of the vases which I donated to Random Acts of Flowers, a local agency that repurposes flowers from various other places and fashions bouquets for the sick. Another way I donate yard sale items is by giving sheets, pillow cases, towels, and spreads to the local animal shelter to use for bedding for the animals so they don't have to sleep on a cold concrete floor. Lamps and small furniture go to a lady who works for an agency that helps women who are victims of domestic violence get set up for housekeeping in a new apartment. Not only do I donate furniture to them, but also clothing, dishes, housewares, and more. My son is one of the first ones to go through the donations and he takes what he wants and can use. During this year he has gotten 18 pairs of bluejeans that he needs to wear to work, 80 tee shirts he wears when relaxing at home, and 8 navy blue, fleece jackets perfect to wear to work as he is a butcher and is often inside the meat cooler. He also enjoys getting tools and a variety of household products keeping us from having to shop and spend on items such as paint, bug spray, cleaning supplies, and toys for our dogs. All in all this is a great activity. We are doing a favor for a friend and she is definitely gracious to us. We have donated items to her to sell as well, so both sides feel like we are even. My main, life-long hobby of sewing also takes up a lot of my time. I have made and sold 40 quilts this year. Most are made from recycled denim blue jeans, skirts, dresses, and more. The size of the quilts is limited to about 68" x 72"due to selling on-line on Poshmark,where there is a 5 pound shipping limit. I've also made a few quilts using flannel and denim. I also sell clothing, afghans, and a few shoes. Most of these items are donated to me from friends and the lady's yard sale leftovers. I've made myself a few dresses from donated fabric and also made pillows and did sew 11 dog beds to donate to the animal shelter. Everything I can't give to someone who needs it is donated to a local agency that sells items in order to buy food to feed the needy. I prefer to give to agencies that do not have administration costs that pays out high salaries. By the time I do these hobbies and keep housework done, I am exhausted. LOL

No comments: