Thursday, August 5, 2021

Dehydrating or Baking Tomatoes; What a Great Treat

Dehydrated or Baked Tomatoes by Martha Rose Woodward Now is the time in Tennessee when fresh tomatoes are abundant. One of the biggest rewards for gardening is to pick then eat where you stand the fresh, cherry tomatoes straight off the vine. Tomatoes are the only vegetable I even attempt to grow because I only eat 20 grams or less of carbohydrates per day. Luckily for me, tomatoes are on the list of allowable foods on the Ketogenic Food Plan because along beside onions, tomatoes are my favorite food. This year I discovered dehydrated and or baked tomatoes and I have prepared these almost every day. I am wondering how I lived to be 72 years old and had never known the tasteful delights of tomatoes prepared in this way. I am happy I happened to watch a video of a lady in Arkansas who demonstrated how she dehydrated and baked tomatoes to feed her 5 sons. Dehydrated and or baked tomatoes are a far more healthy choice for humans than sugary and high calories foods. There is absolutely no excuse for my lack of knowledge about dehydrating foods as I was given a dehydrator 2 years ago for a Christmas gift. It is sat on a counter in my kitchen patiently waiting for me to put it to use. There are several ways to dry tomatoes. The recipes I learned on YouTube are easy to follow. First, if you do not have a dehydrator, you can simply bake tomatoes. I used several techniques suggested to me in order to come up with the outcome I preferred. If you are interested in learning how to make a great, healthy, low-cost snack, the following two methods are what I have used with much success. First, to prepare tomatoes for dehydrating and also for baking, the directions are the same. Wash the tomatoes and slice into the size thicknesses you prefer. I make some slices very thin and other about l/2 inch in width. Of course, the thinner slices cook faster, so you will have to adjust the cooking times. Using a rack that comes with the dehydrator or a flat pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil, place the slices on the rack or pan. For baking, start the oven at 425 degrees and place the pans on the top rack. Bake for about 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 250 degrees or even lower. Bake for 3 to 4 hours checking after 2 hours. You will need to notice the way the slices appear to be losing their moisture. After the tomatoes look to be in the condition you prefer, turn off the heat and leave the pan in the oven until all heat is gone. For dehydrating, you will not need to use paper or foil, the racks are made for air to circulate. For dehydrating, set the machine for the temperature of about 165 degrees and time for 3 to 5 hours. If you want a more chewy result, cook longer, if you prefer to leave some of the juice in the slices, cook for a shorter period. That is all there is to it. Prepare yourself for a fabulous taste. Dried tomatoes need to be stored in air tight containers in the fridge and will keep for months. Enjoy.

No comments: